Streams of the 485 Graduate Visa

485 Visa Streams x 2

We explain:
Difference between streams
Rules for each stream

The Stream you will apply for depends on what you have studied. 

As long as you have met the Australian study requirement, you will apply for either the Post Study Work Stream or the Graduate Work Stream.

Our eBook for each stream go into great detail, but this page provides a general overview of the differences, and requirements.

Which Stream am I? This depends on the level of the course(s) you completed, and the subject matter.


If you studied a Bachelor or higher, you will likely apply for the Post Study Work Stream.

If you studied a Certificate or Diploma and it leads to a job/profession on the Medium and Long‑term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL), you will likely apply for the Graduate Work Stream.

If you applied for - and were granted - your first student visa before November 5, 2011, and you have studied a bachelor or higher, you may need to apply for the Graduate Work Stream, depending on the course.

Post Study Work Stream

Graduate Work Stream

Streams of the 485 Graduate Visa


Post Study Work Stream

This is the stream that the majority of graduates will apply for.

To qualify for the Post Study Work Stream, you will have completed the requirements for a bachelor degree or higher, in a minimum of 92 weeks. 

The visa will be granted for 2-4 years, depending on your final qualification. 

Unfortunately, unless it is 'nested' in the final qualification, neither a Graduate Certificate nor a Graduate Diploma qualify for this Stream. You may need to do some additional study to qualify. Talk to us if you need advice on additional courses. 

Graduate Work Stream


This may be available to graduates who have completed a skill or trade, in a minimum of 92 weeks.

The qualification MUST lead to a job on the Medium and Long‑term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL).


The visa will be granted for 1.5 years. 

In order to apply for this stream, you are required to:

  • nominate an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (MLTSSL). Only one can be selected, and cannot be changed.

  • provide evidence that you have applied for, or already completed,  a skills assessment with the assessing authority for your industry. 

  • prove your degree(s), diploma(s), or trade qualification(s) are closely related to your nominated skilled occupation. You can general use more than 1 qualification to meet the 2-year requirements, but the qualification must be very closely related. 

Certificate III in Bricklaying + Diploma of Building & Construction (Building) 

Certificate III in Bricklaying + Certificate IV in Business

 The are specific & often complicated rules for each stream, so we highly recommend you buy the eBook!
In the book you will find links specific to everything you must do, 
including getting a temporary skills assessment.