top of page
Office Meeting

Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) Visa

Applying for the TR Visa

As a new graduate, if you studied an eligible CRICOS course, you may be eligible for the Temporary Graduate  (subclass 485) Visa, also referred to  as the Temporary Resident (TR) Visa.

There are 2 streams of the visa, the Post-Study Work Stream & the Graduate Work Stream.

Depending the the course you studied, you may get 1.5 to 6 years on the visa.

Temporary Graduate 485 Document Checklist

TR Visa

Document Checklist

It can take time to collect all of the evidence you need. Understand the requirements.

Temporary Graduate 485 Visa Support

How can we help you prepare?

Take advantage of our step-by-step eBook, and or have a migration lawyer check your draft.

485 Graduate Visa Streams

The 485 Graduate Visa Streams

Make sure you know which stream of the visa you need to apply for.

What is the 485 Graduate Visa?

Australia provides the Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) for international students studied for a minimum of 92 weeks and graduated from specific courses.

The visa provides graduates with the opportunity to develop workplace skills in the industry in which they studied. It also provides the certain graduates to study the Professional Year Program. Also known as the PY or PYP Year.

Applicants must be under 50 years old,  and apply from inside Australia within 6 months of completing the program. The application fee for the TR Visa is $1,895 until June 30, 2024.

With this visa, you can work and study full time until the end date of the visa, and  included your partner and children as dependents.

The length of the visa will depend on what you have studied, and the stream of the visa.

If your course was at was at Vocational Education and Training (VET) level, and leads to a job on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) (ie chef or carpenter), you will receive a visa for 1.5 years.

If you studied at the higher education level:


  • Bachelor = 2 years

  • Masters (by coursework or research) = 3 years

  • PhD / Doctorate = 4 years

If you studied in a regional area,  and remained in that area for the duration of your  graduate visa, you may be able to apply for an additional 1-year Temporary Graduate Visa.

bottom of page